Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Frisco Fire Department


I finally... FINALLY made a slideshow of this photo-story and am working on a personal documentary project this year... blogs to follow on that. Last year, I attended the Foundation Workshop in Texas. I don't think FW4, had a spectacular website, like FW5, but never-the-less, you get the idea if you click on the link provided. The Foundation workshop is for wedding photographers who want to learn more about how to shoot more like a photojournalist. We broke into groups lead by photojournlists and talked about how and why to tell a story through photos. Now, obviously since I worked at a newspaper once upon a time, I should've been well versed in the subject, but after shooting weddings and only weddings for years, I needed a refresher course, which is what I got. At any rate, I shot a slice-of-life photo story in two and a half days at the Frisco Fire Department. Frisco got about 2-3 calls while I was there, but no huge structure fire as I was hoping for. Never-the less, I think I captured what it's like to be a firefighter. It was a lot of fun and I'm glad our editors Tim Zielenbach and Cheryl Diaz Meyer kicked our butts. This story was edited tightly by Dallas Morning News pultizer prizer winner, Cheryl Diaz Meyer, who niped and tucked my story down to 19 images. We were assigned to make a portrait of ourselves for this, which is the image after my logo. Slideshow here, it's only 2 minutes.

No comments: